Hanami in New York!

by - April 21, 2017


Hanami (花見, "flower viewing") is the Japanese traditional custom of enjoying the transient beauty of flowers; flowers ("hana") are in this case almost always referring to those of the cherry ("sakura") or, less frequently, plum ("ume") trees.


There are so many places to see in the State of New York, so every time I visit I try to make it a point to discover a new neighborhood in the different boroughs. This time around, I decided to go to the Brighton Beach area in Brooklyn to experience this Russian neighborhood, also known as little Odessa. 

So, we had brunch at Volna which offers a nice view, it is right on the boardwalk facing the beach, we were well received by the staff who recommended traditional Russian dishes for my first Russian meal and also a strong shot of Beluga Vodka, which I could not finish! 




We spent the day on the boardwalk, checking out Brighton beach and the very busy Coney Island, it's a very scenic walk. A fusion of cultures, families, a movie being filmed, foodie lineups draped by a sunny beach view. If you are opting for a quieter experience at the beach, my recommendation is to stay on the Brighton beach side, it's more relaxing. 



It was much warmer than Montreal, of course. But, not hot enough for me to wear my bikini, so I wore a lingerie bodysuit from Winners with some light blue denim pants and a choker from my new spring collection available on etsy. Also, my lipstick color is "Love Me 13" from Essence Cosmetics.

I purchased some Russian dolls at the souvenir shop in Little Odessa, I've always wanted these.


By the way, yes my braids are midnight blue! I was feeling inspired by Spring so I thought to step out the box. It's cherry blossom season, so I was lucky to catch these trees at their peak in Central Park. I also spotted some at Washington Square Park near Greenwich Village. There is also a Cherry Blossom festival starting April 29th 2017 in New York, I wish I could be there.



On Easter Monday we spent the day shopping through Chinatown, going to Uniqlo in Soho and than retreating at Jack's Wife Freda for a late lunch. Little tip, go to the Carmine location instead of Lafayette, you will get seated much faster at the first address. 


For all this walking, I packed my comfy Jadde booties from Musse & Cloud USA , which fitted perfectly with the emerging spring weather in stylish NYC.


Next stop, Doob! We knew we had to check it out while in NYC, they basically take a 3D photo of you and than replicate into an actual statue, it's impressive. We had a little info session with one of the representatives, so we will definitely be "doobing" upon our next visit. 


Later on, we had a scheduled tour with Free Tours by Foot, we chose the Greenwich Village Dessert Tour. It was worth it, our guide Katherine was very informative and gave us a historical tour as a bonus, we went by the apartment where they shot the TV sitcom "Friends". My fave stops were the Donut Project and the Big Gay Ice Cream Shop.


My Greenwich Village Recommendations for a quick break:

Caffe Reggio (Home of the 1st Cappuccino), Bluestone Lane Coffee, Joe & the Juice



Where will I travel next?  

Follow me on Instagram or Twitter: @marciabcreative!


You May Also Like

30 comments

  1. Fantastic photos! Great food!
    Sweet greetings!:))

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all these pics! Looks like it was fun!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post, dear! I like your photos <3
    I will be happy with the friendship of blogs and mutual subscription ♥ (I signed up for your blogger)
    My blog >> Julia Shkvo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow - THOSE TREES!!! I've never seen anything like them! SO gorgeous

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your travel pics make me want to book a trip asap haha! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que fotos tan chulas, son una maravilla!
    Te espero por mi nuevo post bonita, mil besos!
    http://patriciasanchezstylestreet.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those cherry blossoms.
    amazing Pictures :D

    with love your AMELY ROSE

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cool pics :-*

    Melanie / www.goldzeitblog.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such colorful and beautiful pictures.

    Bernie, xx
    The Style Fanatic

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Images are wonderful!

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an amazing pictures!! Great post!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: BEST BEAUTY TIP
    DON'T MISS: MY LAST CALIFORNIA ROAD TRIP & VIDEO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before I started to read your post, I just scrolled down and saw the photo of you sitting on the sand and I said, "wait a second, she's at Coney!" Haha, I'm a native New Yorker and my mom lives in Brooklyn, so we're ALWAYS at Coney in the summer! That particular area is mostly Russian, so it was wise that you experimented with the food because it is delish! I love that when you visit, you don't just stick to NYC, like most people do, but venture out to the surrounding boroughs. I'm from the Bronx, so if you haven't already, I'd definitely suggest visiting The Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens (the largest in NY). Thanks for sharing, girlie, and I hope you're having a wonderful week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cherry blossoms are too pretty!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love enjoy blooming trees too! :)
    Beautiful pics, dear!
    xxx
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  15. The flowers are so beautiful! Stunning shots!

    Adi xx
    fancycorrectitude.com
    instagram.com/fancycorrectitude

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful and interesting post! Lovely pictures!
    www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow what's a amazing pics!! love this tree

    kisses dear
    www.aprendiendoaquererme.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marcia this a spectacular backdrop, such a tribute to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post!

    You have a nice blog!

    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know on my blog with a comment! ;oD

    Have a great day!

    xoxo Jacqueline
    www.hokis1981.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pics !!
    http://www.pperlenoirstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such lovely pictures! What camera and lens do you use? I feel like I have asked you this before.lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your cool photos with us!

    xo,
    Frenchies.

    http://frenchiesunderthesun.blogspot.com

    ps: thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh I recently added a Hanami to my bucket list, and it looks so beautiful. These photos are flawless, it looks like you had a wonderful time!

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete